Thursday 14 October 2010

NORTH EAST CAFE RACERS



This poor, dark photo i took in the early 70s shows a style of bike that was THE thing round this area at that time and still exists today. Minimalist cafe racers, and i dont mean just taking off the indicators, pretty much race bikes with a number plate. There were about a dozen in Malton mostly with metallic stove enameled frames in bright colours, alloy tanks and very little else. Even now there are GSXRs and R1s in the area with replica race bodywork running without lights.
This particular bike came from Teeside and only last year the tank, still lettered as in the photo, was for sale on a stall at a local Autojumble. I missed it or it would be hanging up in my shed. I never knew the owner but its still one of my all time favourites.
I would like to build something like this again.

No comments: